This Italian cabbage, or "cavolo" salad uses crinkly Savoy to catch and hold all the lovely anchovy, garlic and olive oil dressing. And what is essentially a satisfying salad becomes a complete meal with the addition of a brace of prawns grilled in the same flavorful dressing. It's simple to make, remarkably low in calorie, nutritious, light, crunchy and unforgettably tasty! Best of all, you can eat a big pile of it!
|Prep Time||20 Minutes|
|Cook Time||5 Minutes|
- Pulverize the anchovy fillets and garlic to a paste and emulsify with the olive oil and white wine vinegar or lemon juice. Choose one or the other of the acids. Either works well for this recipe, but not necessarily in combination. Add a few grinds of black pepper to season. Do not add salt. The anchovy is salty enough.
- Remove the tougher dark green outer leaves from the head of Savoy cabbage. We want the lighter colored tender leaves for this recipe. Halve, core and very thinly slice the entire head to an almost shredded consistency.
- Peel and devein the prawns. In a small bowl toss them with 1 tablespoon of the anchovy dressing to coat thoroughly.
- If grilling, skewer the prawns first and cook them for no more than two minutes per side, over medium heat, until they turn color and firm up. If pan-frying no skewers are needed.
- While the prawns cook, combine the anchovy dressing with the cabbage and toss completely. Plate and serve. topped with a pair of perfectly cooked prawns!
For a more prominent flavor, use fresh lemon juice for the dressing. For a subtler taste, pass on the clove of minced garlic and use white wine vinegar.
Share this Recipe