Naturally sweet and savory Onion & Garlic Jam consists of just a few healthy ingredients. It’s easy to make, stores well in the fridge and can be used on burgers, stirred into a quick soup or pasta sauce, and even spread on whole-grain toast, topped with a little avocado!
|Prep Time||5 Minutes|
|Cook Time||1 Hour|
- Skin and cut onions into thin lengthwise slices.
- Peel, mash and mince garlic.
- In a large, deep-sided frying pan, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, uncovered, to start browning.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook onions for approximately 1 hour, using a “ﬂoating lid” made of shaped aluminum foil and designed to sink down below the rim of the pan to partially retain moisture as the onions slowly caramelize. Using a regular tight-ﬁtting lid traps nearly all moisture so that the onions do not caramelize as well. Stir and turn onions occasionally, re- spreading across pan for maximum contact with heat source and continue cooking low and slow until all the onions become amber-brown and jammy. Add a little water if or when necessary.
- Serve at room temperature. Extra onion jam stores well in the refrigerator.
This ultimately sweet and savory ‘Jam’ features no added sugar, just the naturally earthy sweetness of caramelized onion, and is a superb condiment to compliment a hamburger, as a topping for meatloaf, instead of sugary ketchup, as a superb base spread for various party hors d’oeuvres, or as an added ingredient to various soups and stews. It has myriad excellent and delicious uses!
Share this Recipe