Fresh mackerel contains one of the highest concentrations of healthy Omega 3’s of any fish in the sea. Smoked mackerel combines all this good nutrition with loads of extra flavor. So, add a dollop of chickpea and olive oil based hummus - instead of fatty cream cheese - and you’ve got a savory, rustic, Mediterranean-style fish pate that will make your heart go pitter pat and your taste buds say “yum!”
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets about 3oz. each
- 6 ounces prepared hummus
- 1 large lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil as required
- 1 bunch chive or green onion tops
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove and discard the skin from both fillets. It should peel off easily, leaving the Omega 3-rich fatty layer attached to the firm flesh. That’s all good stuff. We want it!
- Then, with a food processor, or knife and cutting board, chop or pulse the fillets to the consistency of coarse sawdust. It will appear somewhat dry and fuzzy. If you use the knife and cutting board method, transfer the pulverized fish to a mixing bowl and mash further with the back of a large fork if needed.
- Combine the hummus with the mackerel, squeeze in the juice of the lemon, finely mince and add the chives or green onion tops and give the mixture a few grinds of black pepper. The amount of chives and pepper is up to you.
- Blend thoroughly and adjust both taste and texture by adding olive oil and/or extra lemon juice. Using a food processor will likely result in a much smoother pate. Don’t over-process and end up with fishy wallpaper paste!
- Served as an appetizer, dish a small portion amidst healthy greens on a salad plate and dress with lemon and olive oil. For parties, mound the pate into a serving dish, garnish with extra chive and accompany with plenty of carrot and celery sticks, whole-wheat or multi-grain toast points, etc.
Share this Recipe