Good old rice and beans! For centuries we've known that this classic plant-based pairing not only sticks to our ribs and satisfies our hunger, but also forms a nutritious, complete protein without all the saturated fat associated with meat. That is, unless we load them up with lard! FO5O's spicy, Latin-influenced rice & beans combo relies on olive oil, not animal fat, plus the added flavor profile from lobster stock to cook the rice. It's a mostly plant-based pairing that creates a lean, complete protein and tastes great!
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||30 Minutes|
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes canned or fresh
- 3 cups lobster stock Plain water may be used as a replacement
- Mince garlic and dice the onion, bell pepper and tomato in preparation for the dish.
- In a deep-sided saute pan begin with the olive oil over medium heat. Add the long grain rice and lightly brown until the grains are golden and glossy. Stir often. This should take 2 or three minutes, but watch it.
- Once the rice is toasted in the pan, add the minced garlic, diced onion, red and green bell pepper and saute briefly to "sweat" the vegetables. Again, stir often.
- Then add the smoked paprika and chili powder, along with the chopped tomato pulp. Lastly, pour in the 3 cups of homemade lobster stock. Of course plain water is a perfectly acceptable option, as is low-sodium chicken stock, but the flavor of the finished dish will differ.
- Give the contents a good stir to combine the ingredients. Let the mixture come up to a gentle boil for two or three minutes.
- Cover the pan and immediately reduce the heat to very low, letting the rice gently cook and steam for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid during this process!
Share this Recipe