The fresh, vibrant ﬂavors of basil, garlic & lemon blend beautifully with Omega 3-rich walnuts, parmesan and extra virgin olive oil, creating a pesto that would make cardboard taste good, let alone the neutral ﬂavor of Brown Rice & Quinioa Fusilli.
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||10 Minutes|
- 1 lb Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli (gluten free)
- 1 cup basil leaves (packed)
- .5 cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 2 ea garlic cloves
- .25 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
- .25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea lemon (juice & zest)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prep the Pesto ingredients by rinsing and draining the fresh basil, chopping the walnuts, cleaning and crushing the garlic, grating the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Plunge pasta into gently boiling water and cook 7 - 10 minutes. Note: Carefully monitor cooking process for last 2 or 3 minutes as Gluten-free pastas have a smaller window of perfect doneness before getting mushy.
- In a food processor, combine the basil, walnuts, garlic and grated cheese. Pulse to a loose, slightly moist, sandy consistency. Scrape down the sides and add the zest and juice of the lemon, the olive oil and black pepper. Pulse again. Thin sauce with hot pasta water if desired. The addition of salt to the Pesto is unnecessary. There’s plenty of sodium in the cheese. No need to double up on salt.
- Drain pasta when done, reserving a little of the pasta water in case the sauce needs thinning. Combine with sauce and and pasta, toss gentle to combine and serve, garnished with a basil leaf.
Share this Recipe